I’m so tired.
I’m so sick and tired.
- I’m tired of trying to figure people out.
- I’m tired of watching all those horror shows on the nightly news.
- I’m tired of worrying about the future of Iraq, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Turkey, and Afghanistan – to say nothing about the future of this country.
- I’m tired of seeing the mass killings in Newtown, Aurora, Virginia Tech, Washington Navy Yard, Chattanooga, Charleston, San Bernardino, Orlando, and how we seem to be unable to do anything about gun violence in this country.
- I’m tired of a political campaign that seems to have gone on for at least a millennium.
- I’m tired of the mud-slinging, the name calling, and the out-right lying that is going on, all in the name of the democratic process.
T-I-R-E-D! I’m tired!
But even more than all these things, what really gets my undies in a twist are those Christians who speak as if their zealous interpretation of the Christian faith is the only true one and anyone who has a different understanding than they is somehow not a real follower of Jesus.
Every time I have been confronted by one of these self-styled “Christians” about my perception of the teachings of Jesus, I am told that I am a godless sinner destined for hellfire and damnation for all eternity. (I readily admit that I am a Progressive Christian, but I do not believe that I am going to Hell because I am not a conservative, evangelical Christian.)
For me, it is time to call out these hypocritical so-called “Christians.”
“Christians”…I’m really tired. I’m tired of you.
- I’m tired of you telling gay people that they cannot simultaneously be both gay and Christian.
- I’m tired of having to explain to you what “Transgender” means when I am quite sure that you have a computer and Internet access and should know better by now that Transgender is not “a guy in a dress.
- I’m tired of you arrogantly using the pulpit to say how you believe you are entitled to tell people where they can pee, who they can marry, and whether they really love Jee-sus or not.
- I’m tired of you being more outraged over red coffee cups at Christmas and department store restrooms at any time than you are about poverty, racism, gun violence, rundown school system, and crumbling infrastructure.
- I’m tired of you accusing gay people of the kind of predatory behavior that straight men have been exhibiting, since, well; the man cave was an actual cave.
- I’m tired of you needing to be reminded that the number of times Jesus spoke about gender identity and sexual orientation in the Gospels is absolutely ZERO. Nada. Nil.
- I’m tired of having to explain to you that although I am a Christian, I am not your type of Christian – the type that is generous with damnation and stingy with grace.
- I’m tired of you telling LGBTQ teens that God hates them, thereby causing them to slit their wrists or jump off buildings.
- I’m tired of you so-called followers of Jesus who do not seem interested in cracking open any book except the Bible to see what the rest of us have learned about the brain and the body in 2,000 years; or the universe since Galileo, Copernicus, and Newton; or the human condition since Darwin and Freud.
- I’m tired of you religious folk who seem to want small government everywhere – except in the bedroom and in the bathroom.
- I’m tired of your scientific ignorance and have it treated as if such ignorance is a Christian virtue.
- I’m tired of hearing you preach verbatim the Gospel according to Fox News, and the likes of Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly, Michael Savage, Alex Jones, and Michele Bachmann.
- I’m tired of your high-profile pastors like Pat Robertson Jerry Falwell, Bob Jones Sr., Franklin Graham, and Oral Roberts blaming gay people for 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, ISIS, child obesity, and Lord knows what else.
- I’m tired of waiting for you to show up in this world and actually show the unconditional love of Jesus to people the way he did and told you to do likewise, without excuses or caveats or a theological Texas Two-Step to avoid it.
- I’m tired of your wasteful, fruitless, mean-spirited, unprovoked, unbiblical attack on the “others” in our community, which is squandering so much time and life and beauty, all in the name of a God who is supposedly Love.
- I’m tired of your believing that “Christian” and “bigot” are synonymous terms.
- I’m tired of you making me more and more embarrassed to be associated with Christianity and the Church.
- I’m tired of you being hateful, judgmental, and just plain ignorant.
Yes, I’m tired.
I’m so tired.
I’m so sick and tired.
I’m so sick and tired of you. But at least I’m not damning you to hellfire for all eternity.